What to cook from beets? Fast and tasty
This red root vegetable with a peculiar sweet taste is included in the list of the most useful vegetables. What to cook from beets? In what form can it be presented to the household? How to cook beets so that it does not lose its beneficial properties? Information about this is contained in the article.
Recipes made from beets
Mostly we use this vegetable to prepare traditional dishes, among which the most popular are: herring under a fur coat, borscht, vinaigrette, garlic salad. But we still know a great many recipes that use this vegetable. For example, you can make a stew of red beet or a snack so tasty that, as they say, you will lick your fingers. Beetroot also make pancakes, which are both tasty and healthy, which is especially important. Experts say that with all the richness and splendor of recipes beet dishes will be of real health value only in that case,if for their preparation the vegetable is chosen correctly.
What beets should be used for cooking? Cooking Tips
Anyone who is interested in how to cook beets, should know about the features of this vegetable. There are three varieties of it. Beetroot happens:
- feed (used for livestock);
- sugar (it is grown to produce sugar);
- dining room (it is used in cooking for cooking).
Burak or Buriak (the second name for beets) is one of the most important products in a healthy menu. Introduction to the diet of regular consumption of beets in volumes of 0.5-0.6 kg per month helps to strengthen the body, improve digestion and normalize hemoglobin levels. The beet contains outstanding health benefits, you just need to learn how to choose and cook it.
When choosing beets should follow the recommendations:
- The size. The diameter of an ideal beet should not exceed 12 cm, weight - 400 g. Otherwise, you can be sure that we have fodder beet that does not have a special taste. You can also assume that the vegetable is overly stuffed with nitrates, because of which its usefulness is reduced by several times.
- Texture.Ideally, the root crop should be dense, without holes and soft points, with thin and smooth skin, without rotting or putrid spots.
- Colour. Beetroot will turn out delicious, if its color is saturated burgundy or slightly purple. It is by the presence of dark color that one can judge the high content of natural antioxidant betaine in fruits.
- Incision. A longitudinal cut of a good beet contains neither rings, nor fibers, nor redness. The presence of all these characteristics is evidence that in front of us either fodder buryak or vegetable contains a surplus of fertilizers, while the uniform dark ruby or even purple color of the pulp with rich dark juice clearly indicates that it is a delicious beetroot.
How to cook a vegetable?
The question of what can be cooked from beets is closely related to the question of the correct technology for the preparation of root vegetables. For different treats of beets there are various ways to prepare it. In some recipes, it is appropriate to use raw root, in others it is recommended to boil it or bake it beforehand. Anyway, any method requires the implementation of certain rules:
- For cooking beets in the usual way, i.e.on medium heat, pouring the vegetable in cold water will take up to 1-2 hours.
- For a slight acceleration of this process and the maximum preservation of all useful inclusions, it is necessary to put a pot of water on the fire, add a pinch of salt to it and wait about 5 minutes until the liquid has burnt. In the process of boiling oxygen will be released from it, which remove minerals from the fruit. Then you can put the washed beets in the pan.
- Professionals cook beets for 45 minutes. The vegetable is boiled for 30 minutes. It is transferred to ice water, it is possible with ice. Such a shock technique beets brought to perfect readiness.
- For those who do not know how to prepare a salad from a beet or any other dish, cooks recommend wrapping the washed fruits in foil and baking in an oven at 180 ° C for 40-50 minutes. At the same time, it is not advisable to increase the baking temperature, since already at 190 ° C the destruction of ascorbic acid begins and the vegetable loses its benefits. Vegetable cooked in this way is sweeter and drier than boiled.
- Those who want to learn how to quickly cook beets, experts recommend the use of a pressure cooker. Whole root vegetables boil for 30-35 minutes.Burak, cut into bars, will be ready in 20 minutes.
- The leader of high-speed cooking beetroot is a microwave. Those wishing to learn how to quickly cook beets in the microwave, they recommend to put the washed vegetables in a tightly tied bag and send them to the oven. At maximum power, the root vegetable will be ready after only 10 minutes. Before cooking, it is recommended to make 2-3 punctures in the package, otherwise it may break.
- It takes about 50 minutes to cook beets in a double boiler, and in a slow cooker (when using the “cooking” or “baking” mode) - up to 40-60 minutes.
What to cook from beets? First meal
The first dishes prepared using this glorious vegetable are, above all, the famous borscht. Few people refuse to eat:
- Ukrainian borsch with beetroot;
- beet red borscht;
- borsch with beets and beans;
- original okroshka with beets;
- Ukrainian beetroot soup with donuts;
- original soup with beets without cabbage.
To get a real, according to accepted canons dish, you need to carefully examine its recipe.
How to cook red Ukrainian borscht?
Those wishing to learn what to cook from beets, experts suggest to get acquainted with the recipe of this popular dish. Borsch is one of the few first courses that, over time, only get tastier. Therefore, if you decide to cook red borsch, it is better to use a large pan for this, so that the food will last for 2-3 days.
Experts say that this dish goes very well with pampushkas and garlic. Also, black bread, lard (fresh or smoked) or lard with cloves of garlic are perfectly combined with the taste of borscht. The ready dish is recommended to be filled with sour cream. Sometimes instead of the usual sour cream, a special dressing is used: garlic (up to 2 cloves) is cleared of the core and passed through a press, the greens are crushed. Add crushed herbs and garlic, pepper (black) and salt to sour cream. Everything is well mixed.
To prepare 5 liters of borscht will need:
- water - 5 liters;
- cabbage - 300 g;
- potatoes - 2-3 pieces;
- garlic - about 4-6 cloves;
- pork - 800 g;
- carrots - 2 pcs .;
- onions - 2 pcs .;
- beets - 1 pc .;
- beans - 20 g;
- tomatoes - 1-2 pieces;
- tomato paste - 2 tbsp. l .;
- sour cream - 300-350 ml;
- greens - 40 g;
- salt, pepper - to taste;
- 2-3 bay leaves;
- black pepper - 10 pcs.
It will take about 1 hour to prepare.
Boil meat for 1-2 minutes. Next, it must be washed, pour water (fresh) and again bring to a boil. For 1 hour cook, loosely covered with a lid, over medium heat. This will not skim the broth with a slotted spoon. If beans are used, they are soaked overnight and boiled along with the broth. Then carrots, salt, onion, black pepper (peas), and bay leaf are added to the broth. The bulb is cut crosswise to the middle, you can make about 4-6 punctures in it with a knife. Beets are peeled, cut into strips. If you use pickled instead of fresh beet, the dish will turn out unusually tasty. Carrots are peeled, cut into strips. Onion bulb is cut into small cubes. Tomatoes are scalded with boiling water and cleaned from the skins. Then they are cut into slices, small cubes, ground in a meat grinder, ground in a blender or rubbed on a grater. Beetroots are roasted to light transparency in heated vegetable oil, carrots are added to it and also lightly fried, after which a little chopped onion is added, which is also fried to transparency.Vegetables are lightly dried, add tomato paste, fry for 1-3 minutes. Next, add the chopped tomatoes, stew until soft for 3-4 minutes.
From the ready broth get vegetables and meat. The broth is returned to the fire, the meat is picked from the cartilage and bones, disassembled into fibers or cut into small pieces and returned to the broth, where sour cream is added (optional).
The cabbage is chopped into straws (early-grade cabbage is immediately added to borsch, later it is recommended to slightly wrinkle with hands so that it starts to make juice and become softer), add to boiling broth, cover it loosely with a lid and boil at a gentle boil for 5 minutes. Potatoes are peeled, chopped into cubes. Add 5 minutes after the cabbage. Then immediately add the tomato and vegetable dressing. Cook all up to readiness. After adding the dressing (after 10 minutes), you should taste the dish and, if desired, add pepper and salt. Then the core is removed from garlic, it is finely crumbled or passed through a press. Greens are washed and finely crumbled too. Ready soup should be tasted and add herbs (chopped), if necessary - pepper and salt, and boil for 1-2 minutes.
At the end of the preparation, garlic (minced) is added to the borsch. All is well mixed and, covered with a lid, removed from heat. Mistresses recommend giving borsch infusion. To do this, for 30 minutes should be wrapped with towels or a blanket.
Those who do not know what to cook from beets, housewives are advised to get acquainted with a rich list of recipes of main courses. Dishes of stewed or boiled red beets are used as a wonderful side dish for vegetable, meat and fish dishes. In addition, they can be an excellent snack addition to a side dish of rice and potatoes.
Vegetable stew with cabbage and beetroot
Many ask about how to cook cabbage with beets. The ingredients for this popular second dish are:
- white cabbage - 0.6 kg;
- potatoes - 3 tubers;
- tomato paste - 2 tbsp. l .;
- water - 1 tbsp .;
- beetroot should take - 2 tubers;
- onions - 150 g;
- carrots - 5 pcs .;
- vinegar 9% - 15 ml;
- fenugreek dry (grass) - 1 tsp;
- salt - to taste;
- Paprika - about 1 tsp .;
- black pepper (powder) - to taste.
Potatoes are peeled, cut into cubes, and then sent to cook until cooked. Beets, boiled whole, cleaned and cut into cubes. Cabbage is chopped into straws and laid out in a saucepan.Tomato paste is diluted in a glass of water and poured to the cabbage. The dish is salted to taste and stewed until cooked under the lid. At the end, the leeks are crushed with ringlets and fried until golden brown, mixed with bell pepper, cut into strips, and carrots, grated. Fry vegetables, pour in water, add salt to taste and stew until cooked. Then all the components are connected. Potatoes, onion-pepper roast, beets, on top of which cabbage is laid, are laid out in a separate cauldron. Spices and spices are added, and everything is brought to a boil over medium heat.
Boiled beets are a product that has a less aggressive effect on the digestive system than raw ones. Therefore, this vegetable is mainly used in food in this form. Young housewives often ask the question: "What to cook from boiled beets?".
It is boiled in the usual way - in water, and with the use of a double boiler: while it retains a lot of useful substances - vitamins B, minerals and betaine. Cooked beets, like raw, has a diuretic and laxative effect,with regular use contributes to the normalization of the gastrointestinal tract, activation of metabolic processes, normalization of blood pressure, prevention of atherosclerosis, hypertension, constipation, etc. In addition, boiled beets contain folic acid, which has a positive effect on the formation of the children's nervous system, therefore it certainly includes in the diet of pregnant women of women.
From boiled beetroot prepare appetizers, salads, burgers, sandwiches and other dishes. Most often, young housewives are interested in how to make beetroot salad.
This recipe is one of the most unbroken answers to the question of what can be cooked from beets.
For the preparation of salad use:
- 5 selected eggs;
- black pepper powder - about a third of a teaspoon;
- salt - to taste;
- potatoes - 6 medium tubers;
- carrots - half a kilo;
- Buraka - 3 root vegetables;
- parsley leaves - about 50 g;
- mayonnaise - about 300 g
How to cook?
Eggs are cooked hard-boiled for 10-15 minutes, cooled in cold water and rubbed on a grater. Beets, carrots and potatoes are washed from dirt, boiled until cooked and after cooling cooled from the skin. All root vegetables should be crumbled coarsely grated.In a separate dish, the ingredients are mixed with mayonnaise, pepper and salted to taste.
Salad spread portions in layers (you can use a culinary ring: the first layer - potatoes, the next - carrots, then eggs, and at the end - beets). Decorated with greenery.
Many young housewives are interested in how to cook beets with garlic. There are many interesting recipes for this dish. The appetizer, which is prepared from:
- garlic (3-4 cloves);
- 3 cooked beet roots;
- 1 onions;
- mayonnaise - up to 5 tbsp. l .;
- oils rast. - up to 2 tbsp. l .;
- 3% vinegar and salt - to taste.
Boiled peeled beets are cut into small cubes, fried in butter, finely grated garlic and chopped onion are added. Then you should mix everything and sprinkle with vinegar. If desired, you can add some salt. At the end of the appetizer spread on a dish and decorated with mayonnaise.
The question of how to cook beets for the winter, affects the richness and variety of answers. It can be pickled, sour, freeze, make kvass from it and even cook jam. It is tasty both with the addition of other products, and without them, and it is wonderfully combined with various vegetables.Pickled or pickled beets are used as a side dish for fish or meat, as well as in a vitamin salad. What to say about the preparation of a jar that allows you to cook soup just in one minute, adding it to the pan with broth. Even if the homemade still did not like beetroot, then, having tried the product harvested for the winter, they will definitely look at this vegetable in a completely different way.
"Autumn harvest" (pickled beets)
- beets (5 kg);
- 2 tbsp. Sahara;
- salt (one tablespoon);
- 9% table vinegar (300 ml);
- cloves (to taste).
How to cook?
Beets are boiled until cooked (without salt; and if you add a pinch of sugar to the water, the color of the billet will become unusually beautiful, bright red). Large sized root crops should be cut into several pieces. Beet broth is drained, and 2 cups of broth should be maintained. Then the beets are cooled and peeled. Cooked sterilized jars are filled with beetroot, cut into strips or circles, add several cloves and pour boiling marinade, which is prepared from beet broth, sugar, salt and vinegar. Close the lids and sterilize for 10 minutes.At the end of the banks roll.
For meat (dried beets)
- beets (1 kg);
- crushed dry marjoram (50 g);
- dry chopped parsley (50 g);
- salt (about 2 tablespoons).
The small beet is selected, carefully washes. Then the vegetable is poured with boiling water and cooked for one hour on low heat, after which the product is cooled, peeled and cut into slices, sprinkled with parsley and marjoram. The product is gently mixed so as not to damage the circles. Spread on a baking sheet in a single layer and put for 1 hour in an oven, preheated to 100 ° C. The oven is recommended from time to time to open up in order to release steam. Then dried beets are removed from the oven, cooled, placed in dry jars, covered with a plastic lid and stored in the refrigerator. You can also wither the beets in the electric drier.
How to ferment beets and make kvass?
Beets are soaked for several hours in warm water. Then with the help of a brush it is thoroughly washed, cleaned, chopped into strips or thin circles. Placed in a three-liter jars (beetroot filled about banks), pour boiled water (warm) and set in a warm place.To speed up the process of fermentation, add a few rye crusts to the jars. After a week, mold should be removed from the surface. Beet kvass is poured into clean bottles, and the banks are left with enough liquid to cover the beets. Pickled beets and kvass stored in a cold place.