What can replace chemicals? Useful tips
Pesticides are substances that are used in agriculture to combat planting diseases and parasites that cause damage to plants. The very process of their use is called fumigation. However, the use of chemicals is not always justified, and the owners of the sites face the question: what can replace pesticides? The article will be devoted to this topic.
Why do we need chemicals and what they are?
As already mentioned, pesticides can protect plants from diseases and pests. Otherwise, these substances are called pesticides.
There are several different groups of them, depending on which microorganisms they are aimed at destroying:
- Fungicides are effective against fungal infections.
- Insecticides - destroy insects.
- Herbicides - struggling with weeds.
These are the most popular, but not all types of pesticides used in the cultivation of healthy crops.
Toxic chemicals allow you to increase the amount of crop in the area, but their excessive amount may affect the quality of the fruit. Eating such specimens can be harmful to human health. Therefore, the question of what can replace pesticides is by no means idle.
Common Pesticide Replacement Techniques
Experienced farmers know how to replace pesticides. The most popular methods are as follows:
- Insects. For example, predatory insects are able to destroy many pests. Ladybugs do an excellent job with aphids.
- Vegetable phytoncides. There are plants that repel pests by their smell. Garlic, for example, will scare off the weevil on strawberry plantings.
- Some animals. Hedgehogs, toads absorb the enemies of useful plants.
- Autumn digging. This type of work allows you to deal with weeds.
Read more about pesticide replacement methods.
So, if the farmer or the owner of the dacha plot has seriously attended to the question of how to replace pesticides from pests, he should dwell on the beneficial properties of some plants:
- Burdock The plant is crushed and diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 3, infused for five days.Ready mortar spray planting aphids, caterpillars, moth and other harmful inhabitants of the garden.
- Chamomile. Crushed 3-4 kg of greens pour 10 liters of boiled water, stand for 24 hours, pass through gauze, add water and sprinkle plants from any flying and crawling parasites. Chamomile, planted around apple trees, protects from the moth. A chamomile, which is stored in the shed, protects its contents from mice.
- Red pepper. 100 grams of pepper pour 1 liter of water, boil for 40-50 minutes, leave for a couple of days. Infusion is suitable throughout the summer season and helps from the moth, aphids, sawfly.
- Dandelion. A kilogram of sliced leaves is poured with 10 liters of boiling water, waiting for 10 hours, applied from ticks, aphids, and brassis.
- Tomato plant From freshly cut tops, you can prepare a decoction, and can be stored in a dry form and only then used to make a decoction. In the first case, it will take 5 kg of tops of water to a bucket of water, boil for 3-4 hours. Broth helps from caterpillars, butterflies and other pests.
- Bow. Onion peel is boiled, laundry soap is added and planting is processed with this drug. The tool is effective in the invasion of ticks, moth, sucker.
- Garlic. 200-300 grams of crushed heads are poured with a bucket of boiling water, kept for 24 hours and used for various harmful insects.
There are also cultures that emit phytoncides, struggling with many garden diseases.
For example, the bird cherry repels flies. Red elder does not like cockroaches. Flies, fleas, moths will disappear from the smell of tansy, this herb protects fruit crops.
Marigolds will help strawberry plantings and save them from dangerous insects: the Colorado potato beetle, ticks. If you plant onions or garlic between the beds of strawberries, plantings will be protected from ticks and gray rot.
I wonder what can replace the chemical still? Experienced gardeners use mustard powder, which is diluted in water. This tool is used against slugs, scab, caterpillars.
Often sprayed plants with a solution of ordinary soap (300 grams per bucket of water). This recipe is useful when plantings are threatened by the appearance of aphids.
As for the answer to the question of how to replace pesticides from weeds, many summer residents recommend using the old method and weeding the beds.Of course, the method is laborious, but the fruits do not absorb dangerous chemical compounds. Banal autumn digging also helps.
So, we looked at how to replace pesticides in agriculture. Of course, this is not all options. Surely every amateur farmer has his own secrets.