The first feeding with breastfeeding: where to start
The first feeding of the child should always be introduced on time and correctly, especially when it comes to breastfeeding. Too late acquaintance of the child with adult food can lead to a seasonal lack of vitamins and other nutrients for the actively growing organism. Conversely, if such products are introduced extremely early, problems with the normal functioning of the gastrointestinal tract may appear.
What is a lure and why is it so important?
The first feeding with breastfeeding is the food that you introduce to enrich the baby’s diet fairly. What are the differences of this process with natural and artificial nutrition? Usually - in terms. And this is due precisely to the importance of meeting a child with such a meal:
1. Thus, the digestive system is developed and trained. After all, until this point the crumb had never tasted fruits or vegetables. The intestines begin to work actively due to stimulation of its peristalsis.Also formed a chewing reflex on the background of an already existing sucking.
2. Due to the rapid growth and development of the child in the first months of life, there comes a time when the vitamins and other nutrients contained in breast milk are simply not enough. Just the first baby lures are able to fill this shortage due to the high content of fatty acids, carbohydrates, microelements, vegetable and animal protein in them.
What is the difference from supplementary feeding?
The main thing, as experienced pediatricians explain, is not to confuse the first complementary foods during breastfeeding and supplementation. There are several differences in these important concepts for each child:
1. Supplement - is a dairy product, whether it is a specialized mixture or cow's, goat's milk, which is given to the child in case of shortage of the mother. Complementary food is acquaintance of a baby with adult food, which will gradually replace artificial or natural food.
2. The timing of the introduction of supplemental food and complementary foods vary considerably. Since the crumb needs in one and the other at different stages of his life. Additional feeding may be necessary for the growth and development of the baby in the first days of its existence due to the lack of mother's milk. Complementary food is introduced in the recommended by doctors terms.
3The number of both is unequal, respectively. When the first feeding of the child is introduced, it is usually done with the use of supplementary food. Gradually, the first displaces the second of the diet of your offspring. Thus, the training of a small body ends with its full addiction to complementary foods.
The timing of the introduction of the first feeding
This question is very important, especially if the first feeding is introduced during breastfeeding. There may be two main problems:
1. Too late introduced adult food will lead to a lack of vitamins and other nutrients necessary for the growth and development of the baby.
2. Very early lure will cause allergies, and further diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
Just remember how much care and effort requires the introduction of the usual mixture of the child, if breast milk becomes insufficient. And what about food that the crumb has never tried? There are several points that will indicate to you the readiness of the baby to be complementary foods:
1) he had the first teeth;
2) he recovered twice compared to the weight with which the baby was born;
3) the desire of the crumbs in this case is important, that is, its unpreparedness for adult food will be manifested by absolute indifference to it and vice versa;
4) when you try to give your child a spoonful of liquid mashed potatoes, pay attention to whether he swallows it or not;
5) the ability to spin and spin, oddly enough, here only play a positive role, because if necessary, the baby will simply turn away and not eat, for example, if he ate.
Six months - the best time?
For many, this time is the starting point, the beginning of the way for a child to get acquainted with the diversity of adult food. Why exactly at the age of six months is he ready to receive something new from food? Doctors explain that the first feeding during breastfeeding to children should be given not earlier than 6 months, but no later than 8, because during this period, breast milk in terms of vitamins and various nutrients for the growth and development of the child is simply not enough. And if we are talking about a baby who is on a mixed or artificial diet, then this period should vary between 4 and 6 months. Thanks to the timely introduced prikorm, the baby grows in accordance with age norms, develops fine motor skills, improves the chewing reflex.
How to start the first lure?
This is also an important question, there are a lot of products, but which of them will suit your baby, you can understand only with the help of samples. Usually, a child’s acquaintance with an adult meal occurs with the help of light vegetables and fruits. After all, there is no purpose to feed him, but you just need to be introduced to the new taste sensation. Naturally, all inexperienced parents care about the first feed. Where to start and in what proportions are the most common questions. First of all, the baby should try vegetables and fruits, then cereals, and then meat and dairy products. Of course, depending on the individual characteristics of the child, the sequence may change significantly.
Vegetables as a first feeding are good for digestion.
Only you as parents are allowed to decide what and when to feed the child for the first time. But there are some general rules that are very easily explained by experienced pediatricians:
- When a baby gains weight due to breastfeeding or mixed feeding, as well as artificial feeding, or suffers from constipation during the first few months, physicians strongly recommend starting the feed with vegetables, mostly green (for example, zucchini, cauliflower and broccoli).Complementary vegetable puree will improve the work of the gastrointestinal tract, as well as normalize the mass of the crumbs.
- In the opposite situation, when there is a problem of weight loss, you should pay attention to entering into the daily menu of the baby dairy-free cereals.
It can be various types of them, of course, it is better to start with one-component and without additives. Already a little later, you can try porridge for the first feeding, containing gluten and cooked with the addition of milk.
There is useful information about the introduction of just food based on vegetables. If a child eats zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli without any problems, then after that you can try other varieties of this food, for example, pumpkin or carrot. Remember that you can add a teaspoon of olive oil and 1/4 part of onion to any vegetable puree.
Milk and non-dairy porridges
Earlier it was stated that doctors advise to take porridge for the first feeding it is dairy-free. They serve as an excellent tool for gaining the lack of body weight, as well as for the normal functioning of the child’s gastrointestinal tract. It can be buckwheat, rice or something else. Trust proven manufacturers or cook porridge yourself.It is important that a little later, you can diversify the menu of the crumbs by the milky version of this dish, as well as use various fruit additives (apple, peach, banana or other). So you could decide what to give to your child in the first feeding. Porridges serve as an excellent delicacy in this case and enrich the body of the child with useful substances that they contain.
Fruit - a delicious dessert for the baby
There is a category of parents who are sure that even at an early age, children need to eat sweets. But this is far from the case. Enough to provide them with the optimal amount of fruit every day, and the little man will be active and cheerful. It is important to note that fruit is an excellent dish that will replace dinner at an early age. Due to this, the child will not be loaded stomach during a night of sleep, and the baby will be calm. Naturally, the fruit will not be able to fully replace the first food. Kashi in combination with them is a completely different thing: the children are nourished and really like.
Meat products - when to enter?
Many parents, for unknown reasons, believe that meat should act as the first complementary food for their children.But remember that it contains animal protein, which at an early age can not only be digested by a baby due to a lack of certain enzymes, but also simply cause an abnormal reaction of the gastrointestinal tract. Therefore, postpone the sample of meat your baby until a later date.
Dairy products: the view of modern pediatricians
Often, this option of feeding is not currently perceived by parents and doctors. Many people think that milk, be it cow or goat, in the first year, or even one and a half, is very hard for the little man to take in the digestive system. If you do not believe this opinion, then adhere to the following rule of introducing complementary foods in the form of dairy products: try to buy specialized baby food in the form of curds, yogurts, milk and various fermented milk options at first. The latter contain a large number of beneficial bifidobacteria, which only the best way will affect the qualitative and quantitative composition of the intestinal microflora of the baby.
Opinion of Dr. Komarovsky
Many doctors have a large number of suggestions on how to introduce the first complementary foods.Komarovsky Evgeny Olegovich, a pediatrician popular among modern mothers, advises not to rush into this matter. He says, first of all, that only parents can know on an intuitive level what and when to introduce them to a child. The doctor also notes that the probability of allergic reactions to a baby in a new product will be small if everything is done correctly:
- not to enter it against the background of the disease of the crumbs or any administered vaccine (three days before and three days after);
- the main rule of Dr. Komarovsky: first of all, any low-fat fermented milk product should appear in the baby’s menu, then cottage cheese, cereals, vegetables, meat; fruits will be only an addition to mother's milk.
Do yourself or buy ready-made food?
Of course, cooking baby food by yourself is the best option, especially if you grow vegetables and fruits on your own plot without any additives or impurities. Then the benefits of them for your child will be maximum. But remember that modern baby canned food passes a huge number of inspections and inspections, so you can use it as an acquaintance with an adult table without any danger to your baby’s health.Puree for the first meal you can cook with your own efforts using a steamer or a slow cooker or cook in ordinary dishes. The main thing is to wash fruits and vegetables well. Adding salt, sugar or other seasonings at an early age is not at all necessary, since the child's taste buds are not yet developed, and he will gladly eat fresh food, which is much more beneficial for his body.
Basic rules: when and what, in what quantity to enter
How to cook the first supplements described above. But how much to introduce it, how to increase the portion and competently subsequently feed the child so that he does not lag behind his peers in growth and development, will be indicated in the following rules:
- The amount of the first portion should be no more than 1 tsp., Then you will be able to track the allergic reaction and draw appropriate conclusions about the intolerance of this or that product by your baby.
- Then the amount of complementary foods gradually increases, and in about one week it reaches a volume of about 100 g (or 1 can of purchased baby mashed potatoes).
- During the period of illness or vaccination, new products are not introduced in order to avoid a negative reaction of the body.
- It is necessary to gradually replace the lure with one and subsequent breastfeeding or formula. It is best to start with the morning meal, then the reaction of the baby during the day will be more distinct.
- Buy special dishes that will not only be convenient for the first feeding, but also attract the attention of the baby, thanks to which he is always happy to open his mouth.
- Do not allow overeating at the baby, it can lead to deterioration of his condition, and also later - to obesity.
We figured out how to enter the first feed. Where to start - it is up to the parents of a small creature to decide, given its individual characteristics of growth and development. After all, the health of the crumbs directly depends on this.