Superbright LEDs: types, characteristics, purpose
Now LEDs are used quite often, and in most areas. They are completely different types and differ among themselves by many factors. Specifically, in this article we will focus on super-bright LEDs. This product is somewhat specific, has its own pros and cons and is used in certain conditions. All questions will be revealed further in the article.
By the name of the product it can be understood that such diodes are sources that produce fairly bright radiation. They were designed for situations where conventional standard-type tapes are not capable of providing the right level of light. The characteristics of such products can often be used in cars.
Superbright LEDs - light sources that have special characteristics and properties of work. The following nuances are inherent in the operation of such products: the tape is economical, gives a high level of luminescence, has a long operational life, and allows using the product in various conditions.
It is necessary to pay attention to the fact that often superbright diodes are produced with a voltage equal to 12 volts. All sources of this type function on the same principle. The product has a chip that is made from a semiconductor material. It is covered with special impurities for more efficient operation. In short: the principle of operation is that the current passes from the anode to the cathode. At the same time, the voltage is transmitted only in one direction.
The color of the resulting illumination and the wavelength are determined by how wide the working area is, transmitting the signal to the components. Silicon and germanium are often used to facilitate the transition.
LEDs are divided into two types: infrared, ultraviolet. Their list includes models with a voltage of 12 volts, and others. Sapphire acts as a substrate. In addition to this classification, there are several. Below we consider them in more detail.
Types of high-brightness LEDs
At the moment there is a popular classification of models. Consider what types are divided into super-bright diodes.
- Cree. Products of this type work due to the special composition, which includes gallium nitride and silicon carbide.Connecting their characteristics in the end gives a fairly long period of operation of the diode itself. Like all others, this kind of energy consumes a little (no more than 12 volts). Often, diodes are used on the street, where it is necessary to illuminate roads, crossings (both underground and above-ground), highways. Moreover, they are often used for lampposts. The chips of these devices are quite expensive, since they have a high level of quality. Often used such super-bright LEDs for lanterns of the usual type.
- Epistar. Diodes of this type are characterized by small size. The quality of the devices is good. Have a long operational life. In modern times, they are used almost everywhere.
- Smd. Also fairly common. Often used for outdoor lighting of the building. Can also be used to highlight various items in the room. These tapes are characterized by a dense glow, and therefore gained popularity throughout the world.
Using any of the described products, it is necessary to apply special drivers that allow you to connect them to the network with a voltage of 220 volts. This is due to low resource consumption (12 volts).An existing driver can reduce the load so that the product does not burn out.
For a small amount of time, superbright and other diodes have become quite popular and in demand in various fields. The reason lies precisely in the advantages that we now consider.
- Energy efficient products. Among all the available light sources, this type is considered the most economical. As a rule, the use of diodes can reduce the demand for electricity by up to 80%. The super high-brightness white LED consumes the most compared to the others.
- The product is able to work for a long time, without requiring special maintenance or routine inspection.
- The diode is not very selective with regard to temperature. Therefore, it can be used in any conditions.
- If you need a light source that is protected from moisture and is able to withstand shocks, then among the superbright diodes there are such models.
- During the work the product does not heat up. The only thing to watch out for is the power supply. It is he who takes all the load on himself and heats up.
The parameters of the products are quite good and profitable.However, be aware that there are also disadvantages. What kind?
- Due to the fact that the conductivity of light deteriorates with time, the brightness of the radiation decreases.
- If the process of changing the signal power, the chip can burn. Such situations do not occur very often, but there is a probability of a breakdown.
- Diodes are still susceptible to excessive heat. To which indicators of heat - it is necessary to find out specifically in relation to the acquired model.
- In order for the diode to work, you need to install a special radiator.
- If the product is used in open space, it will be necessary to provide additional protection from moisture, dirt, and damage.
Scope of use
Now superbright diodes are used widely in the industrial sphere, advertising, consumer and as a backlight on various vehicles. Regarding household - we are talking about the glow of LCD equipment and other objects. Also the most famous example of the use of this product is the traffic light. Superbright LEDs - for cars the most popular light source.
Even with the existing shortcomings, a proper installation is enough to minimize the disadvantages.As you know, this product is used quite a lot and often, so you have to talk about its indispensability. Such a diode will easily create the desired level of light in a house or on the street. The main thing is to choose the right model.
Superbright LEDs - Specifications
The most important and defining characteristic is the operating current. Due to the fact that the diodes operate on a constant receipt of the resource, its excess can lead to breakage of the entire structure. The average value of the superbright product is 15-20 mA. The current of one of the most powerful diodes can reach 1 A.
Superbright LEDs have different voltages. It, depending on the model and destination, can vary from 1.5 to 4 V. As a rule, it is this indicator that affects the color of the radiation that results. For example, low voltage allows to achieve infrared color (1.5 V), while the highest - white (3.7 V).
The average power for fairly strong diodes is 1 W, for standard products - 0.3 W.
Super-bright products are sold in various colors. The stores have amber, orange, blue, green, red and white models.The last option can be found in three different shades: cold, warm and medium.
In order for high-brightness LEDs to work for a long time and to give out bright light constantly, it is necessary to arrange a heat sink during installation. This can be done using a radiator. Due to the fact that the base of the diodes, made of semiconductors, is able to conduct current, you need to take care of creating electrical insulation. The basic processes are the same as for the installation of conventional products, so problems should not arise.
Superbright diode tapes are able to create powerful illumination with minimal expenditure of electricity. Due to this, it is possible to solve the issue of a very large expenditure of funds for payment for the resource consumed. Today, high-brightness LEDs are important, irreplaceable and significant sources that can easily create the right lighting in all conditions.