Sodium gluconate: areas of use, harm, consequences
Sodium gluconate is a dietary supplement that can enhance the taste of any dish. Also this substance is a complexing agent. Sodium gluconate looks like a white powder consisting of small crystals. The substance is highly soluble in cold water, acids and alkalis. But it is not amenable to alcohol.
Use of a substance in food production
Sodium gluconate is used in many industries. But most often - in the food. This substance is registered as an additive and has the number E576.
In the food industry, sodium gluconate is used as a shaper, flavor enhancer and complexing agent. It is this substance that allows manufacturers to produce goods that meet consumer and sanitary-epidemiological standards. The compound can enhance the taste of any product, due to the effects on all receptors located on the tongue.
Most often, sodium gluconate is added to semi-finished products that contain fish, meat or mushroom flavors. The substance is able to make the taste of products more vivid and rich. It is worth noting that some bouillon cubes consist of a quarter of this compound. The properties of sodium gluconate are applied in the field of fast food. Substance in many catering establishments is added to soy sauce or used in pure form. The flavor enhancer works only with meat, mushroom and fish flavors.
Sodium gluconate, which is obtained in the laboratory, is used not only as a flavoring agent. This substance is often used for:
- Membrane washing at dairy plants. In this case, the separation of milk macromolecules and whey. Membranes require constant washing for high throughput, microbiological purity and selectivity.
- To wash bottles. Sodium gluconate is a component of detergents, as the substance is resistant to hydrolysis, is biodegradable and has high efficiencies in an alkaline environment.
- Descaling in the process of making beer. The use of detergent compositions with sodium gluconate does not allow calcium to settle on the walls of containers.
- Washing of solid surfaces in industrial plants to remove traces of mineral and organic deposits. It is sodium gluconate that eliminates such contaminants.
- Cleaning the forms required for the manufacture of glass products. Such containers should always be washed after use. Sodium gluconate is included in the composition of alkaline solutions. In addition, the compound is able to remove rust, silicate and coal deposits.
- The substance is also used in the metallurgical, oil refining and oil industry.
Features of cleaning compositions
Sodium gluconate is a complexing agent, which is used for the manufacture of alkaline cleaning solutions. In such compositions, the additive is much more effective than other agents, such as NTA or EDTA. Sodium gluconate is usually added to liquid solutions. This component is usually combined with phosphates, silicates and surfactants.In alkaline formulas, sodium gluconate is simply indispensable.
To prepare a cleaning solution designed to remove various deposits, 100 grams of the substance is added to the liquid composition. The amount of sodium gluconate may vary. It all depends on the size of the sediment, as well as the hardness of the water.
Sodium gluconate: harm
Sodium gluconate can harm the human body. Dangerous substance in food. Serving as a flavor enhancer, sodium gluconate is able to mask low-quality products: rotten, rancid, chemical, tainted and tasteless.
It is worth noting that the connection stimulates a strong feeling of hunger. As a result, a person eats much more than necessary. Due to the frequent use of products that contain this compound, obesity and other disorders are often developed.
Effects of supplementation
The use of such an additive does not pass without a trace for the human body. The compound can be highly addictive. As a result, the usual wholesome food seems completely tasteless and, of course, harmful.With frequent use of products with this additive in large quantities, sodium gluconate can be poisoned. Emulsifier can cause severe headaches, as well as allergic reactions, such as rashes, skin redness, and so on.
Sodium gluconate is simply indispensable in the manufacture of a variety of alkaline detergents designed to remove a variety of deposits and scale. The substance has become widespread in many areas of industry. However, the compound is used not only to clean containers and membranes. It is added even in food. Use foods that contain a compound such as sodium gluconate, should be with extreme caution. After all, this component can be addictive. The use of supplements in large quantities can lead to poisoning and allergic rashes. Prolonged use is fraught with more serious consequences for human health.