Can a child up to a year or not look in the mirror? Folk omens and useful games
Despite high technology, the birth of a baby is still shrouded in multiple superstitions. The older generation willingly shares them, forcing impressionable mummies to spit three times over their left shoulder. Such ancient signs concern, in particular, some household items.
The child and the mirror - it would seem, how can you connect the usual reflective surface and the newborn? However, logic is alien to superstition, so it is necessary to figure out why children under one year old cannot be shown in the mirror, where similar signs come from and what consequences they promise.
For many centuries, people prone to mysticism have considered the mirror surface to be a kind of door to otherworldly worlds, which is why this subject was often used in numerous rituals of ritual magic, as well as curious legends and superstitions about it.
Some signs include, in particular, children up to one year old, because in the Middle Ages it was directly stated that it was impossible for a baby to look in a mirror. The likely consequences of noncompliance with this advice are as follows:
- the child will speak late;
- will stutter;
- there will be problems with teething teeth;
- the baby will become painful;
- strabismus will occur;
- the kid "overlooked" his good fortune;
- will become fearful;
- negative emanations contained in the mirror “settle down” on the child.
Of course, such signs are essentially divorced from reality and do not answer the question of why the little man cannot be looked into the mirror.
If you try to look for logical chains between speech development, the eruption of teeth, and the cheerful craving of a baby in front of a mirror, then there are no connections.
Possible causes of superstition
To study the "mirror" signs, of course, is extremely curious, but it is even more interesting to study what factors underlie the occurrence of such beliefs and numerous "impossible." The likely reasons for the formation of a negative attitude to the mirror are as follows:
- The medieval population could not explain the patterns of the psychophysiological development of the child, because genetic and psychosocial factors that influence children were not yet known. That is why a variety of difficulties with the baby could be blamed on his games with a mirror, when the true reason remained hidden. We give two examples:
- The delayed formation of speech arose either because of heredity, or because of serious intrauterine infections, or because of the usual neglect (of course, the mirror has nothing to do with it);
- features of teething are a purely individual process, depending only on the physiological characteristics of the baby, and it is not so important whether you show it in a mirror.
- The version that fearfulness is caused by reflection in the mirror, again, does not hold water. Why does a child crying for a year when he first looks in a mirror? Seeing his reflection, the crumb is frightened, because he does not yet perceive himself as a separate person. Of course, the mirror surface cannot hide anything terrible or otherworldly, therefore it is better to wait for time and introduce the baby with a mirror a little later.
- Opinion about the pain of the child, looking in the mirror, perhaps due to the technological features of the manufacture of these objects in ancient times. First, mirror surfaces were produced using a variety of harmful components, for example, mercury. The vapors of this substance are toxic, it is not surprising that after a long stay near the mirror the child felt ill or fell ill.
The only possible damage from the mirror, which does not confirm the above described signs, is associated with ordinary injury. Reflective items are usually fragile and unreliable, so the baby can simply get hurt if it breaks the mirror surface.
So, scientific confirmation of the negative impact of the reflective glass on the health of the child does not exist. Modern children from the new age are surrounded by numerous objects, among which the mirror is not the most dangerous device.
Get accustomed to the developing rugs or mobiles intended for newborn children. Many of these first toys are equipped with mirrors.Do you think you would equip such gaming accessories with reflective glass if it would harm the crumbs?
Psychodiagnostic professionals actively use the mirror in identifying psychological problems in children. For example, a child suffering from autism disorder can barely catch the connection between the mirror image and himself.
When to give a child a mirror?
As we found out, a child up to one year old can look in a mirror. Experts generally recommend to acquaint the child with this object almost from the cradle.
- In the first half of his life, the child certainly does not understand that he himself is reflected in the mirror. However, various objects that are reflected in this glass allow the baby to more quickly and fully understand the surrounding reality, develop successfully, creating additional neural connections in the cortex of the hemispheres.
- In the second half of the year, the baby gradually realizes that he and the mummy, who is holding it on the arms, “is” in an unusual object. This understanding creates an opportunity for parents:
- expand the boundaries of knowledge of the surrounding world, since the child can take a fresh look at familiar objects;
- to entice the baby with a new game, because the kids can literally spend hours watching themselves and their mother in the mirror;
- to monitor the correctness of child development, since an 8-month-old tot should be interested in its own reflection.
It is curious that at this age the crumb begins to be frightened of strangers. And this is completely normal, because he entered the period of self-identification.
Games with a mirror
It turns out that such an object familiar to us, adults, as a mirror, can become a magnificent developing toy in the hands of not indifferent parents.
Playing with a newborn
With the help of a mirror surface one can develop spatial orientation and improve the visual perception of the little man. You need to play with the baby as follows:
- Take the baby in your arms and stand near the wall mirror so that the distance to the child's face is about 25-30 centimeters. This is the optimal interval for the infant to be able to concentrate his gaze on any object.
- As soon as the crumb focuses his gaze on the reflection, the mother smiles at him and says: “Hello, honey, this is your mommy. Look, as I open and close my eyes. See how I move my eyebrows. ” Of course, words are accompanied by characteristic movements.
- The child is still too small to point a finger where Mommy and he are. That is why you need to take his finger and show it yourself, gently and gently, while commenting on each step.
Such classes cannot be organized if the child feels unwell, is hungry or, on the contrary, has recently eaten. Good health and mood - the key to success!
Playing with an older child
The kid got dirty? Bring him to the mirror and offer to admire the dirty attractive face. If the tot is taken to scour the reflection, explain that you need to clean yourself, then the spots on the mirror will disappear. Such a simple exercise helps the child to realize that he is reflected in the mirror glass.
As soon as the crumb begins to identify itself in a mirror and be interested in reflection, the lessons become more detailed:
- Stay with the child near the mirror. Point to the nose, eye, ear and voice of their names. Such a simple way helps to memorize parts of the body and accelerates speech development, despite numerous signs suggesting the opposite.
- Grown up baby can show a mirror image of any objects, as well as small letters and pictures. This will help him take a fresh look at familiar objects.
- Be sure to play with the crumbs in emotional games. Let the child look at his reflection and smile (as if he saw his best friend). And then let him frown or show the tongue. Parents should also be included in the lesson to stir up the baby.
In addition, the mirror surface is a great helper in teaching self dressing. That is why, before going out for a walk, place the child in front of a mirror - let him put on a hat looking at himself.
And, of course, you need to be close to the crumbs when you first get acquainted with this subject, since the kid can simply be afraid of his own reflection.
Believing in signs or rejecting all superstitions is up to you. The reasons why it is impossible for a child younger than one year old to look in the mirror seem unconvincing and even ridiculous. On the contrary, reflective glass can be a great helper for mommy in educational games. It is only necessary to show a bit of fantasy!