How to dissolve milk stagnation by yourself? Causes and treatment of lactostasis
Few nursing women have avoided such an unpleasant state as lactostasis. Under this term is understood the stagnation of milk, manifested by painful sensations, compacted areas and redness of the skin of the breast.
The main danger of this phenomenon is the possibility of its transition to a more serious nuisance - inflammation of the mammary glands. In this situation, treatment with medications and even surgery is possible. That is why it does not hurt to know how lactostasis manifests in a nursing mother and how to cure it at home.
Symptoms of lactostasis
It is only after the birth of the child that the newly-made mothers begin to understand what lactostasis is, finding an extremely painful induration in the breast and experiencing pain when breastfeeding. However, these are not the only symptoms of the phenomenon.
Of course, it is more correct when nursing mothers at the first problems with the breast turn for help to specialists. But before this it is important to “identify” the signs of lactostasis, which include:
- swelling and puffiness of the breast;
- breastfeeding soreness and when expressing milk secretion;
- tightness in the chest, felt when probing;
- feeling of "heavy", squeezed chest;
- increased temperature or reddening of the skin on the affected breast (temperature and redness are not mandatory symptoms of lactostasis);
- uneven secretion of milk secretions from the chest, for example, on the left side of the nipple is flowing, and on the right side it is dripping in small droplets.
If the temperature of breastfeeding moms rises to 39.5 ° C, it can be assumed that any infection has joined the puffiness and an inflammatory process has begun. In such a situation, a visit to the doctor is necessary.
Before you begin to describe the causes of the formation of "traffic jams" in the breast, it is necessary to consider the development of lactostasis in lactating women.
In one of the areas of the breast, the outflow of milk stops and puffiness appears. From here - unpleasant sensations at a touch.The temperature of mothers begins to rise because the milk protein accumulated in the ducts is perceived by the cells of the immune system as a foreign body. The body simply struggles with the "enemy".
What leads to stagnation in the chest? Several factors can provoke them.
- Rare change in posture when breastfeeding.If a parent feeds her baby in one position for a long time, only certain parts of the breast will be released. In the rest, the milk secret begins to stagnate, resulting in a seal.
- Sleep in one pose.This reason is typical for women who like to doze in one position - most often on the left or right side. In this case, the milk secretion accumulates in the lower areas of the breast, located closer to the armpits.
- Tight underwear.Some mothers who are afraid of sagging of the mammary glands due to the influx of milk, or who wish to prevent it from leaking, acquire an overly tight bra. Such underwear clamps the milk ducts and impedes the outflow of milk.
- Inadequate fluid intake.Due to improperly organized drinking regime, lack of fluid in the body, excessive enthusiasm for nuts, the viscosity of the milk secretion increases.The child is not able to sufficiently empty the breast, resulting in stagnant milk.
- The use of breast milk substitutes.A newborn child, forced for any reason to suck a pacifier or a bottle, forms an improper grip of the breast. Because of this, he takes it worse and sucks the milk is not active enough.
- SquashWhen properly organized breastfeeding, decanting is an optional procedure. However, some mothers, wanting to improve lactation, are decimated constantly, and this causes an excessive rush of milk. The newborn is not able to pick up the entire volume of the product, so the remnants of the secret remain in the milky ducts, gradually clogging them.
In addition, lactostasis can cause injury to the breast. If a woman hits a hard object with her breasts, tissue swelling will occur and, as a result, the milky ducts become blocked.
What do we have to do?
Lactostasis treatment is a fairly quick process if you approach it wisely. Nursing mothers can get rid of seals and remove other unpleasant symptoms at home.
And to attach to the mammary gland to bear fruit, it is important to adhere to certain rules.
- Change position when breastfeeding.The task of women is to free the area where the “traffic jam” has formed from milk. The pose of the mother should take into account where the hardening is located. In this case, the chin of the child is sent in this direction, and the center of the "traffic jam" is located under the lower children's lip. For example, during lactostasis in the armpit, the baby is applied from under the arm. With the stagnation of the lower lobes of the child sit on his knees. When sealing the upper section of the mother with the baby will have to take an unusual position "jack."
- Breastfeed more often.In the case of lactostasis, there is no need to wait for the child to want to eat. The chest is offered approximately every 60 minutes. At night, the time interval is increased to 3 hours, so for the convenience of the mothers of the child it is better to put to sleep nearby.
- Discard the breast “substitutes”.The baby should only suck her mother's breast. Of course, such a "binding" will create multiple inconveniences for the mother, but the stagnation of milk will not turn into inflammation of the mammary gland.
Usually, frequent and proper feeding of the baby leads to a quick disposal of milk “traffic jams”. If treatment with a “child” does not help, you need to use the following algorithm:
- Warm compress
- Gentle breast massage
- Cold pack
Lactostasis treatment at home implies the consistent use of these methods. It remains only to understand how to properly massage, apply compresses and express breast milk.
Use of compresses
In case of distinct and painful seals in the mammary gland, compresses will help to “cork”. Warm lining relaxes the pectoral muscles and improves milk waste, while the cold ones relieve puffiness.
The simplest but effective procedure is wetting the napkin in warm water and applying it to the hardened area. It is necessary to make a similar compress before feeding or filtering out the milk. If the body temperature is high, warm lining is canceled.
However, elevated temperature is not an absolute contraindication for applying compresses. HBG experts recommend treating lactostasis with the following linings:
- Cabbage compress.Cabbage leaf washes, bounces before the appearance of the juice and is applied to the compacted share. As soon as the leaf dries, it is replaced with fresh.
- Curd compress.Fresh curd is made cool cake, which must be attached to the problem area for a quarter of an hour.
- Honey flour compress.Honey and flour are mixed until a homogeneous mass, which is spread on a plastic bag and "put on" on the chest. Hold this pad for about 30 minutes.
For breastfeeding moms, a cold compress is also useful, which is effective for marked edema. It is extremely simple to do it - it is enough to decant the cold tissue for a couple of minutes after decanting or feeding the child.
Massage with lactostasis
With pronounced seals massage of the mammary glands becomes a mandatory procedure for women. However, it is important to understand that the main task of massaging is not to break the seal, but to relax the breast as much as possible.This will help the active movement of the milk secretion in the ducts and its outflow.
HBG experts recommend performing a massage before decanting or feeding. It is better to do the procedure at home, on your own, because massage therapists can do more harm than help.
When breastfeeding, mothers should do the massage very carefully, following the following simple rules:
- The main purpose of the massage is not to remove the “plugs” in women, but to relax her breasts. Lactostasis treatment with massaging should take place without pressure and other strong effects that only increase pain.
- Kneading the mammary gland with the stagnation of milk - it means only to hurt yourself. Nursing mothers should have a “golden” rule - they stroke their breasts and gently rub them, but they do not knead. With breastfeeding, simply warming up and relaxing the mammary glands is sufficient.
- It is necessary to carry out circular massaging movements towards the center of the chest.
- If during massaging of the mammary glands, mothers experience severe pain, then the event is transferred under a warm shower. Not very hot water relaxes the chest and reduces the intensity of the pain syndrome.The optimal shower temperature is 36-38 ° C.
If the massage is performed in compliance with all the rules, it becomes a good preparation for the breast gland to express milk through pumping or feeding the baby.
Rules for successful pumping
Some new mothers from decanting the breast gland stops the pain. However, if you proceed to stagnate milk in accordance with the rules, then the painful sensations will disappear after the first procedure, and the whole lactostasis will disappear one or two days.
When breastfeeding moms should be decanting according to certain rules.
- The thumb should be placed above the chest, the rest - clasp the gland below. In this case, the index and thumb are as close as possible to the edge of the periphery.
- Then the fingers gradually move to the middle of the chest. At the same time, it is important for women to learn how to make slow and rhythmic movements.
- Absorb all breast lobes, focusing on the compacted areas.
- After it is necessary to place two fingers on the edges of the periphery region and press on the gland.At the same time, it is necessary to constantly change the position of the fingers so that the secret of milk can be decanted from all sides.
- If the discharge has stopped, you should massage your chest a little, following the recommendations described above. After the procedure, again proceed to decanting.
- If the breast seals are preserved, and the milk secretion ceases to flow out, they return to the massage again. With breastfeeding, massaging relieves pain well and improves the flow of milk. Movement should be circular and directed to the nipple.
Before the procedure, you need to thoroughly wash your hands so as not to carry the bacteria and do not turn the stagnation of milk into inflammation of the mammary glands. No need to wash your breasts with soapy water! Otherwise, such treatment will end for moms with nipple cracks.
When breastfeeding actively use breast pumps for expressing milk. Such devices can be purchased at any specialty store. They are electrical or mechanical.
Despite the release of mothers from hand pumping, it is better not to use breast pumps for lactostasis. Firstly, it is safer to decant hands, and secondly, it is significantly cheaper. The breast pump is still not so cheap.
Other ways to get rid of lactostasis
Nursing mothers can combine home treatment with unconventional products with the use of pharmaceuticals. Useful ointments and medicinal infusions permitted during breastfeeding.
Before using them, it is better to consult a doctor who will tell you how to treat lactostasis correctly. The use of the following means is permissible:
- Arnica cream.Used to reduce the severity of pain in lactating mothers. Apply the product to compacted areas several times a day between feedings.
- Elixir Malavit.The tincture is diluted with water (in a ratio of 1 to 1), moisten the cotton wool and impose it on the hardened area. It is necessary to hold the compress until the next feeding of the child.
If you increase the pain or maintain hardening in the chest, the best way for nursing mothers is to go to the doctor. In such situations, physiotherapy is prescribed, which is carried out outside the home, but effectively break the stagnation of milk.
- Ultrasound procedures.Will help get rid of "traffic jams" for one event. However, the female body responds to ultrasound in different ways. If after two procedures, the seals remain, this method is discarded.
- Magnetotherapy, UHF.Also show a good result after just one or two sessions.
Treatment with physiotherapeutic procedures is usually combined with the use of ointments and popular recipes. Alone, these methods are not very effective.
Lactostasis is uneven among lactating women. Some newly-born parents have never come across it at all, while others regularly suffer from milk “traffic jams”. That is why stagnation prevention is so important.
It is necessary to begin preventive measures before the birth of the child. To this end, the expectant mother should regularly wash with warm water and gently rub the breast.Following delivery, the following guidelines should be followed.
- A woman needs to feed the child in different positions. This will allow the mammary gland to be released more evenly.
- You can not hold the breast in the process of feeding. During the seizure, the milk ducts are clamped, which causes lactostosis in the nursing mother. Dairy secret should expire "without help."
- It is necessary to abandon the "regime" feeding, going to the most natural feeding. The more often a woman begins to attach a baby, the sooner the traffic jam will resolve.
- The new parent needs to be extremely careful about the health of the mammary glands: acquire only comfortable underwear, quality items. Do not allow the child to bite and squeeze the chest.
- Dummies and bottles should also be set aside. If you properly organize feeding, then the substitutes for “natural packaging” will not be needed by the child.
- A nursing woman needs to give up physically hard work. Let the spouse picks up and lowers the stroller, performs other tasks. Mom enough to carry on the hands of the child.
And, of course, the friendly attitude of the household, close emotional connection with the baby, the joy of motherhood will be the best warning of congestion in the chest.
Milk "tube" is quite common in new mothers. How to treat lactostasis, if during the next feeding the woman felt unpleasant hardening in the breast? First of all, do not panic. If you call on the child to help, regularly massage and express the chest, then you can cope with the problem yourself in one or two days.