Fish grouper: photos, sizes, recipes
Sea fish has a lot of fans, and the usual salmon and trout are no longer admirable. If you want something unusual, be sure to try the grouper fish. It will make a lasting impression thanks to not only its taste, but also a rather exotic look. In addition, this fish can reach a truly gigantic size.
Stone Bass: description, size and habitat
The grouper belongs to the perciformes and the Serran family. This species has a great variety of colors, as well as amazing patterns on the scales. The color of the grouper depends not only on the habitat, but also on the physical and emotional state of the fish, so it can be safely called the "sea chameleon".
The body of the grouper is decorated with either stripes or spots of unusual shape, because it is sometimes called rock bass. In European countries, this fish is called measure. The habitat of the grouper is quite large, it can be found in the Mediterranean, and in the waters of the Red.In addition, the merou is found off the coast of North America: from the Caribbean to Greenland itself. On a commercial scale, fish are harvested in the waters of the Indian Ocean.
Particular attention should be paid to the size of the grouper. There are quite medium-sized species, individuals of which reach a length of no more than 20 cm. And some representatives of the measure, especially of brown and bronze color, can reach a length of 250 cm and weigh over 400 kg. This is almost one and a half times the size of an ordinary person, just imagine its size! The fish grouper in the photo presented in the article was caught by ordinary fishermen, and this is not the largest specimen. The Indian fishermen keep the palm, in tropical waters they managed to catch a grouper weighing 458 kg and a length of about 277 cm.
The most common varieties of commercial grouper
The most common type is red grouper fish. The photo posted in the article, it is clear that it is quite small in size, and therefore very convenient for fishing. It is the red grouper that is exported to most countries of the world. But there are individuals of another color:
- white with spots;
- red with stripes;
These species are more rare, their fillets are much more valuable.
True delight for connoisseurs: the taste of fish
Fish grouper can be safely called a marine delicacy. Its fillet has a gentle, but rather peculiar taste with a pleasant sea flavor. The structure of the fish is fine-grained, white in color with a small amount of fat. The taste of the merou is slightly sweet, as mollusks and crustaceans predominate in its diet. In terms of fillet density and taste characteristics of stone perch, you can safely put on a par with elite sturgeon.
Heat treatment practically does not affect the quality characteristics of the fish, it remains as gentle and at the same time dense. The fillet does not darken, the aroma of sea freshness is not replaced by an unpleasant smell. That is why grouper is often served in the most expensive restaurants.
Not only tasty, but also useful!
Like all marine products, stone perch is very useful for our body:
- Fillet merou can be considered dietary. The calorie content of grouper fish per 100 grams is only 118 kcal. This is a rather low figure, given that protein is the main nutrient, and fat content is extremely low.
- Since stone perch lives in marine waters, its fillets are enriched with such useful and valuable minerals as phosphorus, selenium, sodium, potassium and calcium.
- Sea fish is an excellent source of proteins and essential amino acids. This significantly speeds up the metabolism in the body and nourishes the cells with oxygen.
- The complex of vitamins has a beneficial effect on the nervous system, and also helps maintain normal blood sugar levels.
- Regular use of gruper improves skin condition.
- In addition, marine products are very useful for people with thyroid problems.
Dishes from the grouper in cooking in different countries
Fish grouper is very popular among Americans and Europeans. The most valued specimens weighing from 30 to 50 kg. The main advantage is that the fillet is practically boneless, very tender and pleasant to the taste. Usually, very large specimens are not very popular among cooks, since an adult fish is very bony, and over time it acquires a specific smell.
The small fish is quite in demand. Groupers weighing up to 1 kg are often cooked on an open fire. This dish is quite popular in many restaurants in the world.
A true Mediterranean masterpiece: "Grouper in Greek"
This is a fairly simple and at the same time delicious grouper fish recipe.
From the ingredients you will need the following:
- grouper steak - 5 pcs .;
- large onion - 1 pc .;
- spring onions - 1 bunch;
- garlic - 2 heads;
- dry wine - 1 glass;
- hard cheese - 125 grams;
- walnuts - 1 cup;
- juice of one lemon;
- chicken broth - 70 grams;
- olive oil for frying;
- salt and spices.
- First you need to sprinkle the fish with lemon juice and fry the steaks on both sides in olive oil until crisp.
- Then finely chopped onions and garlic are fried separately.
- Broth, wine, salt and spices are sent to the onion and garlic pan. The resulting mixture is poured fish and stewed over low heat until cooked.
- When serving, the dish is decorated with chopped nuts, herbs and cheese.
As a side dish you can serve rice or pasta, but the fish itself is very nourishing and nutritious.
Spicy and unusual: shashlyk from grouper
We offer another interesting recipe for cooking grouper fish - barbecue. This method is very popular in India, most often fish is served on bamboo sticks.
- five lemons juice;
- the flesh of a large grouper;
- salt and pepper mixture;
- olive oil - 150 g;
- tomatoes - 7 pcs .;
- Eggplant - 3 pcs.
- The first step is to prepare a mixture for the marinade. To do this, mix the oil and lemon juice and add all the spices and herbs there. For aroma, you can rub a little zest, citrus notes will improve the taste.
- Cut the fish into medium pieces and leave in the marinade for 2 hours. Then dip it with napkins to remove the spice pieces, otherwise they will burn over an open fire.
- Cut the vegetables into slices and put them on skewers with the fish.
- You can cook skewers on the grill or in the oven. This requires no more than 10 minutes.
Serve with rice and fresh vegetables.
Simple and tasty: fish with grilled vegetables
Nothing is simpler and tastier than grilled fish grouper. If you want to appreciate the entire palette of the natural taste of fish, you can cook it in such a simple way:
- In this case, it is better to choose a small individual (weighing up to 700 grams).
- Be sure to clean the fish from the scales, but be extremely careful, on the body of the grouper there are many sharp protective spikes.
- From seasonings it is necessary to give preference to only large sea salt.Nothing more is needed, we do not want to kill the real taste of the ocean?
- To prevent the skin of the fish from deforming, make cross-shaped cuts on the carcass, then grill it on both sides. Both open fire and grill pan will do. The total cooking time on fire should not exceed 10 minutes, otherwise you risk to overdry the fish.
- Then wrap the grouper in foil and give a little "rest". Grilled vegetables can be served as a side dish.
Try to include in your diet as much as possible seafood, because this is a real storehouse of vitamins and minerals from the ocean itself. Besides, it is incredibly tasty!