The Boulevard Ring - a landmark of the Russian capital
Boulevard ring - landscapesight of Moscow - emerged in the late 18th century on the site of the Belgorod Wall, a defensive fortification that was abolished and disassembled as superfluous. The towers of the wall were also destroyed, and in their place were formed squares, the names of which recall the past their appointment. In the names there is a mention of the gate: Pokrovsky Gates, Arbat Gates, Nikitsky Gates, etc.
How many boulevards in the Boulevard ring?
In total, ten boulevards were established, whichsettled down one after another in the form of a horseshoe, surrounding the center of Moscow. The ends of the "horseshoe" rest against the embankments of the Moscow River, forming the Boulevard Ring itself. The map of Moscow contains complete information about all the boulevards along with the squares. In contrast to the Garden Ring, the Boulevard has a more compact outline.
The Boulevard Ring (Moscow, as you know,It was built for a long time) in its current form appearedimmediately. The first boulevard, Tverskoy, was laid in 1796 by the architect S. Karin, and then on the other side of the Tverskoy boulevard, the other nine avenues of the avenue diverged. Finally, the Moscow Boulevard Ring was formed in the first half of the 19th century.
Its origin it takes from the Soymonovsky passage toPrechistenka and continues from the Prechistenskie Gates to Arbat Square. This site is called Gogol Boulevard. Arbat Square passes into the Arbat Gates Square. From the Arbat Gate begins Nikitsky Boulevard, which rests on the area Nikitsky Gate. At this point the Boulevard Ring intersects with Bolshaya Nikitskaya Street, overlooking the Manezhnaya Square.
After the Nikitsky Gates the ring continuesTverskoy Boulevard, resting on Pushkin Square. From the Pushkin Square depart Strastnoy Boulevard, its ending is the Peter's Gate Square, which is crossed by the famous Moscow street Petrovka. After the Peter's Gate, the Boulevard Ring continues Petrovsky Boulevard, which extends to Trubnaya Square.
Further from Trubnaya Square the boulevardChristmas, connecting it with the Sretensky Gate, which is the beginning of Sretensky Boulevard. From the square go the streets of Bolshaya Lubyanka and Sretenka.
Sretensky Boulevard ends in an area ofTurgenev, which connects Myasnitskaya Street and Sakharov Academic Avenue. At the end of Sretensky Boulevard there is the Myasnitskie Vorota Square, from which the Chistoprudny Boulevard, which goes to the Pokrovsky Gates Square, originates. The next square, Khokhlovskaya, is the place from where the Pokrovsky Boulevard begins, which immediately turns into the Yauza boulevard.
The Yauza Boulevard ends with the Yauzsky Gates Square, from which the Ustinsky Passage, the last link of the Moscow Boulevard Ring, departs.
Boulevards and their differences
Some of the 10 boulevards of the ring have their ownsigns of difference. Gogol Boulevard is held on three levels. The internal highway goes along the upper level, the middle one on the middle tier, and the outer thoroughfare runs along the lowest line. This stepping boulevard was due to the different heights of the Chertoroy stream, which once flowed in the place of Gogol Boulevard.
The most "young" boulevard of all is Pokrovsky,For a long time his education was hampered by the Pokrovsky barracks and a huge parade ground with them. Platz was demolished in 1954, and only after that the alley was turned into a full-fledged boulevard.
The shortest boulevard is Sretensky, its length is only 214 meters, and the longest is Tverskoy Boulevard, 857 meters. The record width - 123 meters - is different Strastnoy Boulevard.
The Boulevard Ring is famous for its monuments:
- A. Pushkin on Pushkin Square.
- Vladimir Vysotsky and Sergei Rachmaninov on Strastnoy Boulevard.
- NV Gogol and Mikhail Sholokhov on Gogol Boulevard.
- AS Griboyedov on the boulevard Chistoprudnom.
- On Tverskoi Boulevard, Sergei Yesenin and KA Timiryazev.
- At the exit from Sretensky Boulevard there is a monument to V. G. Shukhov.
On the perimeter of the Moscow Boulevard Ring are the following subway stations:
- station "Kropotkinskaya" (Sokolnicheskaya line);
- station "Arbatskaya" (Filevskaya line);
- station "Pushkinskaya" (Tagansko-Krasnopresnenskaya line);
- station "Tverskaya" (Zamoskvoretskaya line);
- station "Chekhovskaya" (Serpukhov-Timiryazev line);
- station "Trubnaya" (Lubelsko-Dmitrovskaya line);
- station "Turgenevskaya" (Kaluzhsko-Rizhskaya line);
- station "Sretensky Boulevard" (Lubelsko-Dmitrovskaya line);
- station "Chistye Prudy" (Sokolnicheskaya line).
Conca and tram
Transport on the Boulevard Ring was not, Muscoviteswere dispensed with by cabmen. However, in 1887 horse carriages appeared on the boulevards. Konka worked until 1911, then the tramway was launched along the Boulevard Ring. The route was considered to be circular, although the cars only went to the Moskva River embankment in both directions.
In 1947, the Boulevard Ring was partiallyrestored to the 800 anniversary of Moscow. Obsolete benches in the public gardens were replaced by new, modern ones. Completely replaced the mesh fence, by that time already rusted. Instead of it, cast cast iron fences were installed. Since 2011, the Boulevard Ring has become a favorite place for all kinds of protest rallies and demonstrations.